Monday, January 18, 2010

Cuckoo from cocoa

My boss is addicted to coffee. He downs at least a cup an hour during the workday, and I have suggested that perhaps he should look into one of those catheter thingies or an IV drip directly into his veins. I would dismiss it as a side effect of having a 3-year-old and a 3-month-old who have entirely opposite sleep schedules, but this has been true for a while now.

I, on the other hand, can't even enjoy a Dr. Pepper AND a cookie with my lunch without turning into a jittery mess in the afternoon. Eighteen cups of coffee would send me jumping out the window.

This fall, I began inexplicably awaking in the middle of the night and lying there for a while before falling back to sleep--not every night, but every few days. Yoga provided some relief at calming the mind, but I felt like a fool, doing Downward-Facing Dog in my pajamas at 3AM in the dark. And eventually I figured out what it was: CHOCOLATE. Consumption of chocolate of any kind after about 9pm! I only did this every few days--a scoop of ice cream here, a couple of Oreos there--but there was a direct link. I've avoided it for the last few months, but I had a chocolate cookie while watching the Golden Globes last night, and--once again--I found myself wide awake at 4AM.

So. My next project is to widen the experiment to include non-chocolate sweets to ascertain if it's just caffeine or (¡QuĂ© horror!) sugar as well. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Pannie! This is still happening?! I did some research and according to the mighty internet the problem is often two-fold. The small amount of caffeine in the chocolate mixed with SUGAR tends to be a problem. So sad. Meanwhile, if you need to experiment with non-chocolate sweets, I offer the following suggestions.
    -Girl Scout shortbread cookies, with or without tea
    -Nutter butter PB sandwiches
    -Pecan Sandies (for Gretchen)
    -Snickerdoodles
    -PopTarts, specifically brown sugar
    -any and all sugary cereals. Cap'n Crunch is a fav
    -Jelly Beans
    -Animal crackers (which are, in fact, cookies)

    ReplyDelete