Thursday, March 3, 2011

Very important topic

Forget Qaddafi, Charlie Sheen, and the potential government shutdown.  I know you've all been waiting for my thoughts on the Most Important News Item of Our Time or At Least This Week, which is that Hines Ward--Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver, Super Bowl MVP and two-time champion, and owner of one knee-weakening smile--is going to be on the new season of Dancing with the Stars.

I know, I can't believe it either.  This is worrisome, because it means that I am going to have to start watching the show again.  I gave it up a couple of seasons ago (in favor of So You Think You Can Dance, admittedly) because it was just too much of a time commitment.  It is, in fact, rather like American Idol in that way--multiple hours per week, a results show that is filled entirely with fluff until the last four minutes when they reveal who has been cut, and "very special performances" by artists of varying levels of talent and contemporary relevance (dancers from Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, yes.  Michael Bolton?  I think not).

Anyway.  Athletes generally fare well in the competition--witness the three Olympic gold medalists who have won: Kristi Yamaguchi (gold medalist in figure skating), Apolo Anton Ohno (multiple medalist in short track speed skating), and Shawn Johnson (gold medalist in gymnastics)--and of course recent Olympic gold medal figure skater Evan Lysacek, who came in a very close second this last season.

Football players, current and retired, are nothing new on Dancing with the Stars, though their talent level has varied widely.  Emmitt Smith won Season 3 (controversial though it was), Jets linebacker Jason Taylor was runner up to Kristi Yamaguchi in Season 6, and legendary wide receiver Jerry Rice was runner up in Season 2.  They were all quite good.  Retired Raiders and Bucs defensive tackle Warren Sapp even made it to the top three in Season 7, though I maintain that he had no business making it as far as he did.  

So anyway, it could go either way. I will be watching, at least for the first few weeks, because I can't NOT cheer (and vote) for the delightful Hines Ward.

Hines "Twinkle Toes" Ward

2 comments:

  1. With Pittsburgh being my hometown, I'm always pleased to find another Steelers fan. It's amazing to me how many diehard there are... some of whom haven't even set foot in the city.

    Perhaps I'll have to give DWTS a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must be an error ohkeh. The heading of this blog entry implies you would be writing about prawns. Is there a misprint? A mis-print? (said like melancholy)

    ReplyDelete