Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The year in review

True to form, I'm a few weeks late on the annual year in review post, which has popped up in various forms all over the blogosphere, including on Holly's blog and Jules' too.  I had planned to do it during jury duty the week after New Years, but instead I was picked for a panel and found myself sitting through a seemingly endless voir dire process. But better late than never! Perhaps that shall be my mantra for 2012.  Here we go...


1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Lots of things! Booked a trip on a whim. Ate a $200 meal. Watched my sister get married.  Went to a Red Sox game. Set an ambitious goal and met it. Dropped a lot of dollars on car repair. 

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions? 
Well. Yes and yes/no-ish.  I set a goal to read 50 books in 2011, and I totally did it, ya'll! Ten points, Gryffindor. I shall be blogging about that shortly.

The other resolution was to go join a gym and go regularly. And I did! Four times a week....for a month (it was March). And then I let my membership lapse.  But I rejoined last week. 2012 is the year, folks! 


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Hm...do work friends count? If so, then yes: two people.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully.

5. What countries did you visit?
No other countries, but I traveled quite a bit domestically, mostly with or to visit friends or family, or for weddings (SO MANY WEDDINGS): New York City; Pennsylvania; New Jersey; Florida; South Carolina; Tennessee; Boston and Vermont; Norfolk/Williamsburg, VA; West Virginia; Saint Louis; and Georgia.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Better self-discipline with regard to a) going to the gym and b) finances.

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 5: the day my sister got married.
October 22: the day my best friend from childhood, who i hadn't seen or spoken to for three years, got married in a tiny, perfect backyard wedding (with a bonfire!)

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Honestly, I'm pretty proud of the book thing, minor as it may be. It feels good to have stayed on track with something for the whole year, even if it is something that I love and that comes naturally to me.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Biggest? Well, I don't know about that, but i most regret fizzling out at the gym. And it started out SO WELL.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Aside from a handful of colds, and the Mysterious Leg Weirdness of Summer/Fall 2011, not really.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My iPad! Tickets to Company in New York, which led to an awesome trip. The perfect black cigarette pants. Le Creuset for G's wedding, which got the reaction I was hoping for ("Shut the front door. Are you kidding me?!"). Gorgeous shoes, marked down to $17, my size, and the only pair left.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Travel. Weddings. Unexpected car issues (new tires and smashed mirrors).

13. What did you get really excited about?
Travel plans and visits with friends and family. My sister's wedding.

14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Adele's "Rolling in the Deep," which--while awesome--was on the radio ALL THE TIME, and Lady Gaga's "Edge of Glory," mainly because of that righteous sax solo.

15. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
Same. Same. Poorer (see also: all those weddings. It was an expensive year).

16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Kept up with the regular gym-going (are you sensing a pattern?).  Better meal-planning.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Frivolous spending.

18. How did you spend Christmas?
In Tennessee with my parents/sister/brother-in-law, and then in Georgia with the grandparents/aunts-n-uncles/cousins.

19. What was your favorite TV program?
There was a lot of good TV this year, but Modern Family, New Girl, and The Good Wife stand out. And I became OBSESSED with Downton Abbey.

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Again, a post is forthcoming on the many books I read this year (get excited!), but the ones that most stuck with me were Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle, Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna, and, for sheer can't-put-it-down-ness, The Hunger Games trilogy.

21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Adele's entire 21 album. New discovery Laura Marling. The Milk Carton Kids-- I will be forever grateful to Luke for pointing out their free-to-download albums.

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I saw more movies this year than usual...but i really don't remember what they were. I really enjoyed Crazy Stupid Love. And I finally watched the last Harry Potter movie, though technically I watched it on the second day of 2012.  But other than that...?

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I spent a perfect, low-key 28th birthday (the best kind!) at our local bar & grill with a bunch of friends.

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Wow. I really can't think of anything. It was a pretty excellent year, all things considered.

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Whatever is clean.

....Oh, you want more than that? Ballet flats. Cardigans. Scarves. Lots of dresses all year. Lots of boots in the fall/winter. I just...wear what I like on a given day. But that's true every year, not just in 2011.

26. What kept you sane?
Reading. My friends and family. Lots of tea.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Always, always have something to look forward to.

Oh, and WebMD is the enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment