Thursday, May 26, 2011

New York, part 2

Somehow, despite the fact that we ate our way through the city for 48 hours, we managed to find some energy to explore Manhattan. 





Ash and I took the train from DC to New York. Soon after arriving at our hotel, we met up with Jules and headed to the Museum of Modern Art (free on Friday nights!).




That night, Jules spent the evening with her sister, and Ashley and I checked out Little Branch and ate ourselves into a state of ecstasy at Le Bernardin. And then slept very, very soundly.


Saturday morning, after coffee and pastries at Bouchon Bakery, Ash and I set off to meet Jules at Chelsea Market, where I took approximately one gazillion photos of food.




Vegetables!

'Shrooms!

Seafood!
  
Fish!

More fish!


Ashley also had a bit of an incident at a shop called The Filling Station, where she tasted about ten times the recommended amount of "Ghost Pepper" and nearly passed out from the heat.  ("THEY SHOULD WARN YOU!" "Um, look at the sign, Ash.")




Then Jules had a bit of an incident involving a street cone.




Saturday evening, after dinner with Jules and her sister Al, it was time for the main event, and the whole reason we made the trip in the first place: the New York Philharmonic's Company at Avery Fischer Hall. Lincoln Center at twilight is a magical place.


The Metropolitan Opera.  So pretty.

My first visit to Avery Fisher Hall.

The main event!

I mean seriously, would you look at that cast?
The show was a delight, and we had a few celebrity sightings. Cynthia Nixon (of Sex and the City fame) passed us in the lobby, as well as Christina Hendricks' husband and father, who was carrying flowers. And in the bathroom at intermission, I stood four feet from Sarah Jessica Parker, who tried to remain inconspicuous as she washed her hands. I told Ash when I got back to my seat. "WHAT?! Is Matthew Broderick here, too?! I could just stand up and yell 'BUELLER!' and see if he answers." Luckily, she didn't need to--we spotted him a few minutes later.


Sunday morning, we had an eaaaarly brunch at Norma's. And then? A stroll along Central Park down to FAO Schwartz for one important reason. We had to check this out:


The new build-your-own-Muppet workshop


My favorite Muppet: Beaker



You'd be surprised how much trouble three late-20-something women can get into at a toy store.


Pepe and "Pepe"

Someone is REALLY excited about the Mad Men Barbies.

I'm mad because the Sorting Hat has just put me in Slytherin.



We wandered around the Upper East Side for a while, popping into Bloomingdale's and Dylan's Candy Bar, which, despite an impressively comprehensive stock of vintage candies, lacked the one thing I sought: Dad's beloved peanut butter bars.
  

After some more exploring, it was time to pick up our luggage and, sadly, head home. It was a fabulous weekend in a great city with my best friends. Can't ask for much more than that!




No comments:

Post a Comment